Flawless Cavity Repair with Dental Fillings
At deJong & Plaisance Family Dentistry, we work hard to help patients keep their smiles whole and healthy for life, but despite our best efforts, tooth decay, chips, cracks, and dental wear may still occur. The majority of patients will need at least one filling over the course of a lifetime of daily wear and tear, and skilled dentists are able to repair smiles flawlessly with tooth-colored composite resin fillings. To find out more about fillings or schedule a six month checkup, contact our family-friendly River Ridge dental practice today. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Dental Filling Materials
Traditionally, dental fillings were crafted from a silver-colored metal amalgam material. Amalgam fillings offered durable results, but there are a number of disadvantages to repairing smiles with this material including:
- Amalgam fillings noticeably mar smiles
- Patients with allergies or sensitivities to metal often have adverse reactions
- Amalgam expands and contracts with changes in temperature potentially causing further damage to the tooth
- A larger amount of tooth structure needs to be removed to accommodate the fillings
- Bacteria is often able to access the space between the filling and teeth potentially leading to further decay
At deJong & Plaisance Family Dentistry, we typically use tooth-colored composite resin material to restore teeth following decay or damage. This material can be carefully shaded to perfectly match teeth for flawless restoration. Composite resin is applied directly to the damaged tooth in a putty-like consistency. That means we’re able to preserve a greater amount of dental structure as the composite material can fill in even the smallest pits and grooves in teeth. Composite resin offers improved appearance and long lasting results.
The Tooth Colored Filling Process
Patients in need of fillings can complete their repair in just one short, painless appointment. We start by numbing the area around the tooth to be repaired. Then, we prepare the tooth by smoothing the damaged area and removing any decayed tissue. Then, we apply the carefully shaded composite resin material to the surface of patients’ teeth, and we shape the malleable material to fully restore the damaged tooth’s shape and structure. Once the filling material is in place, we use a curing light to harden the material. We make any final adjustments as necessary, and then, we polish and seal the filling in place.
Cosmetic Dental Bonding
In addition to being used to repair minor decay or damage, composite resin is a great cosmetic dentistry option as well. Referred to as cosmetic bonding, this service is used to conceal or repair smile flaws like chips, stains, and gaps. For some patients, cosmetic bonding is a cost-effective alternative to more advanced cosmetic or restorative treatments.
Benefits of Tooth Colored Fillings
- Completely metal free and safe for patients with metal allergies
- Cosmetically superior appearance
- Preserved greater amounts of natural dental structure
- Less likely to crack, chip, or break away over time
- Reduced risk for further decay or damage
- Save time and money with fast, effective, same day repair